Monday, July 19, 2010

An Ode to Good Old Fried Chicken Part 1

As you may noticed its not even an hour before my first post and here I am writing again. Fortunately insomnia has gotten the best of me at this ungodly hour and as they say idle hands are the devil's tools sew, I'd rather get the typing started as the launching of this blog has been long delayed so I might as well catch up.

I have been eating like mad for the past few days or shall I say week. Ever since I got back from that 5-day trip in Hongkong (5 grueling days of nothing but duck) I have been eating nothing but fowl. Especially fried chicken, for the subsequent days. So I've decided to do my first review on, you guessed it psychic, FRIED CHICKEN.

First off, Jollibee. Jollibee has been around since God knows when, it's so old that it's basically an institution. I remember when I was a kid, I would call my Dad at work and ask him to get me drive-thru Chicken Joy (really, its a habit I havent grown out of ) and eat only the chicken skin. Undeniably, Jollibee has played its role one way or another in all of our childhood and it's truly Filipino. Why anybody would use an androgynous bee for a mascot is all a mystery, but its not the point of this entry.


"The best fried chicken! Crispylicious, juicylicious! Jollibee's perfectly seasoned fried chicken that's crispy on the outside; tender and juicy on the inside" - from the Jollibee website

Personally I like this chicken because I looooooooooovvvveeee the gravy. Really. I'd order two tubs: one to drench my rice with it and the other for my chicken. I'm not saying the chicken doesnt taste good but the gravy is definitely the main show for me. I even dip my french fries in them.

So here is my rating for the Chicken Joy:
Price - 7 out of 10 (at P66 for 1pc and P111 for 2pc, its affordable for the average Filipino)
Service - 8 out of 10 (Jollibee has always been known for its impeccable service)
Ambience - 3 out of 10 (if sugar high toddlers and wailing babies are your thing, maybe you'd rate this higher but its really not mine)
Accessibility - 10 out of 10 (Jollibee must be in every corner in the Philippines)
Health - 4 out of 10 (Come on, its fried chicken)
Over-all Rating - 6.4 out of 10

Second on the list, KFC. KFC is a relatively new fastfood chain in the Philippines. Jollibee and McDonalds have been the pioneers and KFC must've entered the scene just in the past 10 years or so (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only estimating). I prefer the Original Recipe over the Hot one. I really wasnt into spicy food back then. Only began experimenting with it recently but I still havent developed a liking to the Hot variant even till now.


"KFC's signature recipe chicken made with a secret blend of 11 herbs and spices, freshly prepared and pressure cooked to perfection"- from the KFC website

Some days I like this chicken some days I dont, for reasons I really cant quite put my finger on. I have the most picky taste buds which was why this Fried Chicken streak that I was on for around 4 days really suprised me (and I mean I ate fried chicken for all 3 meals everyday straight). I'm not too crazy about the gravy, either. Contrary to popular choice it's too buttery for me. I've actually had several instances of mild diarrhea from it. I know I said I'm not crazy about it but still I had to drench my rice with it, although it didnt quite offer me the same satisfaction with Jollibee gravy. Did I mention that its not crispy too?

Price - 6 out of 10 (at P71 for 1-pc and P118 for 2-pc, its a bit more expensive than Jollibee)
Service - 7 out of 10 (I find sometimes that they're not quick on the gravy refill, I soiled my clothes last time trying to squirt the last drips out of that dispenser)
Ambience - 5 out of 10 (althought it's still a fast food chain, KFC caters more to the young adult market than the toddler market, giggling teenagers are a huge improvement from wailing babies in my book)
Accessibility - 4 out of 10 (not as many franchises as Jollibee and McDonalds, more often than not you have to go to the mall to find KFC)
Health - 4.5 out of 10 (a bit higher than Jollibee because I read that KFC uses a healthier oil but in the end you still cant fool yourself, fried chicken is FRIED chicken)
Over-all Rating - 5.3 out of 10

Okay, I was intending to review four different Fried Chickens but sleep has caught up with me and I shall return with part 2 of this blog. Feels good to finish something.




No comments:

Post a Comment